FIRST MENNONITE CHURCH CHILD CARE POLICY
A. Drop-Off /Pick up Policy
Children are never to be dropped off or left alone in a classroom without a teacher present. Personal items should be marked with names on it. A parent/guardian should come to the room and pick up their child(ren) from their classroom soon after any service.
B. Staffing Policy
1. Prospective workers will complete a screening process which includes regular attendance of FMC for at least 6 months. Prospective workers must complete a Children’s Ministry Application which includes a background check.
2. At least one approved adult (at least 18 years old) will be in each room at all times. Teachers should serve in teams so that at least 2 workers are in the room at all times. The following ratios are staffing guidelines:
Nursery (0-2) One worker per 4 children
Pre-school (3-K) One worker per 8 children
Primary (1 & 2) One worker per 9 students
Middle/Jr. (3 -8) One worker per 10 students
C. Diaper Changing Policy
Whenever possible, parents are requested to change diapers before bringing their child to the nursery. For the protection of infants and toddlers, only an adult woman may change diapers while the child is at church.
D. Bathroom Policy (0-5)
Children should be escorted to the hallway bathroom. When possible, avoid taking children to the bathroom alone. If a younger child needs assistance in the bathroom, the following guidelines must be observed:
a. No minors should help children in the bathrooms.
b. The same gender should help the child if needed.
c. The bathroom door must be left open.
E. Discipline Policy Guidelines
When young children have difficulty behaving in class, the worker will intervene, move the child to a different part of the room and/or redirect his/her attention. If the behavior persists, the parent will be asked to stay with the child in the classroom until the behavior is resolved.
F. Proper Display of Affection Policy Guidelines - Hugs, Lap Sitting and Casual touch:
Touch is an essential responsibility in nurturing lives. The following guidelines are to be promoted for pure, genuine, and positive displays of God's love: One-arm side hugs or hand-to-arm hugs are positive contacts. Avoid initiating full contact, body-to-body hugs. Discourage lap sitting with school-age children. Rather, encourage them to sit next to you. During activities, gentle contact may be used on children's heads, shoulders, arms, and hands. Physical discipline should never be used on children or students. REPORT ANY CONCERN OF ANY ABUSE IMMEDIATELY.
NURSERY GUIDELINES FOR PARENTS
Listed below are a few guidelines that will help to provide a healthy and loving atmosphere for all in the nursery.
1. Please LABEL all of your child's articles at home (i.e. diaper bag, bottle, jacket, etc.). A marking pen and masking tape will be available if needed.
2.Please, be aware of your child's health prior to coming to the nursery. We ask that your child be free from diarrhea, runny nose, fever, or any contagious illness for at least twenty-four hours before being left in our care. This will enable us to guard everyone's health, thank you!
3. Children are to be dropped off and picked up promptly by the parent or adult guardian.
4. If your child is overly distraught during a church service, a volunteer will come to get you.
5. We ask that you make sure your child has used the restroom or had their diaper changed before bringing them to the nursery.